All Houses begin the year focusing on the creation of a classroom community. Rules and behavioral expectations for the year are developed through the use of Responsive Classroom techniques, morning meetings, and House discussions.
Throughout the year the following occur to address character skills and building community:
- Cooperative group activities;
- Planned partner work and student initiated topics;
- Book studies, Read-alouds, Writing activities;
- Reading group assignments;
Grade-wide, students study Native American fables and their morals and meet in Grade-wide Buddy House activities with kindergarten Houses.
- Partner with Homes for the Homeless;
- Host a donation drive to support summer camp experiences for homeless children;
- Lead the First Program’s participation in the annual Penny Drive